Monday, January 18, 2010

More from Day 4

As we settle into bed and you just wake up back home lets give some more details.  In the Civil Affairs office Laine was the Queen.  She just sat with her five, count-em FIVE, layers of clothes on and just soaked everything in.  While kids were crying all around her she sat and watched.  The only time she started to cry was when we tried to take off her hat.  So we quickly put it back on and moved on to some cheerio bits.  Two families ended up waiting until 4pm to get their children.  They were only 2 hours away but the for or I believe smog, made them take the long way around a lake and the families here just had to wait a little longer. 
 
For Laine, the peaceful beginning was the calm before the storm!  We got back to the room and she started to fuss right away.  We were taking off her pillows!, slowly.  The social workers say keep her clothes for the future to show what she came in and don't wash them yet so she has that smell from her home up to now.  We brought some formula from home, knowing she probably wouldn't like it because it was unfamiliar, but I made up my first bottle and as soon as I walked up with it Laine's eyes fixed on it like an eagle hunting a mouse on the ground! She started drinking and never looked back, so much for familiarity!  Our adoption agency sent questionnaires to the orphanage a short time ago asking basic questions about what she eats and when sleeps and stuff like that.  But it was still being translated by our guides so we just punted and it worked.  But as soon as the bottle was gone the tears and cries began.  She went on for over an hour.  We switched out some more clothes and the diaper, but to no avail.  She loves to bounce so that became the soothing method on Christina's lap.  Shortly there after the guides called with the formula info and they ran out and bought boxes for each kid!  We just had to pay them and go to their room to get it, very nice!  Christina tried several times and several ways to get Lainey to go to sleep but she wanted to stay awake and not miss anything I guess. 
 
 We got another bottle in her and found out her nap time had already passed so we just started playing with toys and taking some videos.  I've tried to post them, but all the video feeds I know of are blocked here so I can't get them out to you.  Laine loves to blow bubbles with her saliva and make buzzing noises.  She copied Christina pretty well, a good development sign.  She can not sit up on her own, which is behind for her age of 14 months.  She is also wearing six month clothes pretty well.  We'll weigh her in the morning.  She also likes to play with my whiskers and the little parts of some fisher price keys.  So she seems pretty healthy right now, just behind developmentally which is expected for her time in an orphanage.
 
We were given a nice picture book of who her caregivers were.  Plus they brought the bag we sent her for her birthday with the clothes and gifts too.  The real key is they also returned the two disposable cameras we sent.  So we can get about another 50 pictures developed from her surroundings which will be great to explain later where she came from.
In the evening we did some paperwork and had Italian for dinner.  A nice waitress gave Lainey a flashing Santa face to clip to her clothes, super nice gesture.  We have to be up at 6 we are guessing to get ready and to now get Laine ready too, so I'm going to call it quits since my eyes are drooping to the mouse pad right now!  Thanks for all the well wishes! Here are some more pics too, love the smog and the guy on the bike struggling, had white flour all over him!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Laine is beautiful. I hope you enjoy this very special time. Enjoy your time with her, your travels, and each other! I wake up each morning, excited to see what adventures you are having. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have looked through the pictures oh, so many times today and I just can't stop...all I see is a very beautiful and happy young family!!! She is a sweet little doll...I want to hug her so much...Did she finally go to sleep?? And did you two get some z's?? It seems like such a long time before you come home but time will pass so quickly for you, I'm sure. Thank you both for letting us all follow your great adventure!! It means the world to us...bless the new Doelling family and stay safe. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are soooooo excited for you! Cole and I just cried as we looked at the pictures. Enjoy this getting to know you time!!

    Love ya,
    Tonya, Sean, Cole, Reid and Brielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations mom and Dad! She has been placed in the most loving arms she could have. What an exciting adventure for you. Thanks for letting us follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute. We are all very excited for you. Send more! We're addicted to following you journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! She looks so happy to be with both of you. We are all so happy for you. It's been a LONG time coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy for you two! She is very cute and I look forward to meeting her! (I too got a little teary eyed when I looked at the pictures!:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kids, I waited to write back today because I could feel the hurt you did for Lainey. I hope there is no reaction to "8" shots!! Wow what a great little trooper. Ican't imagine what they all could be. I'm sure you had all the shots needed but I doubt there even a total of 8 over all of your childhood years! I know there are some new ones now but that is really amazing. She should never ever get sick!!! The picture of Lainey in the crib with the "lovable" shirt is going to be classic. I have printed it and even on glossy Paper and it is wallet size. Now if I just had someone to brag to....she is really beautiful and so are you both. Hope you had fun at your dinner and Lainey sleeps well tonight. Of, course it is am over there when I'm writing..So what are you touring?? When do you have to go to the consolate? It seems like you could just hop a plane and head for the USA. Wishful thinking I guess...ahh, do you have any layover in Chicago?? We would meet you there if it is possible..I just want to hug you all!! Please give us a call again, ok?? Anyway, take care and be safe. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete